Paid To Popup Design House

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It's All About the Kids...





    It is isn't it?

    I mean, that could be said with a smile or a scowl, depending on the day, the mood or the moment.
    And I have experienced the gamut in just the short week since summer break started.
    I have discovered that working from home, surrounded by kids and the noises of summer, is REALLY hard. That I may have to shift my thinking and my schedule: working only at night, after everyone is in bed. Because writing creative thoughts for two magazines, while fielding endless questions, supervising swimming, and running a taxi service and an ice-cream stand really doesn't mesh.

    Not that I'm complaining (well, maybe a little...). Because if anyone writes me and tries to tell me that there aren't growing pains associated with having the kids home for summer, well, they are too organized or saintly to be my pal. Just being honest...

    And because the internet can be a very bad influence on me (for example, I cleaned my oven the other day just because a Facebook friend said she was cleaning hers), I decided to take inspiration from the lovable Meg (who has really set the bar on being a fun mother, hasn't she?) and made this with my girlie:

    (and yes, there is a spelling error: Sunday should read Sundae)

    Only you just know that making this list is going to come back and bite me...
    As in, "Mummy, we need to do something on the list, so let's have a water balloon fight and make a campfire to make spider hotdogs, K?"
    And I will grimace while entertaining thoughts of using that list to start the campfire...

    And then, magically, I will get in a groove and loosen up and things will get done and I will reap the reward of all that late night working: sleeping in!

    Because that's a summer activity, right?

    Must go add it to "The List!"

    (Sophie's class picnic...we can scratch that off The List, too!)


Newer Post Older Post Home