Paid To Popup Design House

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Playhouses are for sharing!


    After sharing my daughter Sophie's playhouse that her father and I built (see this post) - and having it featured in the pages of Flea Market Style - I continue to receive many kind comments and letters from readers who have been inspired to create similar little houses for their children. In fact, in recent months, I have received letters and photos from three readers who did more than dream as they put their hammers to use to build, renovate and/or repurpose playhouses for their own children (and grandchildren!). I am pleased to share some photos of these sweet, little houses and perhaps you might catch "playhouse fever" and think about building one of your own for your children!

    For those who might be new here, this is Sophie's playhouse:


    *********************
    Now, first up is the charming playhouse Tammy R. and her husband "renovated" for their daughter, Riley.
    Tammy writes:

    "I found your site over a year ago and fell in love with Sophie's playhouse. It has been my inspiration to do something similar. When we bought our home, it had a little playhouse (that had seen better days). I hated it and wanted my husband to use it for firewood. Instead he stored firewood in it.  Once I saw Sophie's playhouse on your blog, however, my mind starting racing and thought about all the wonderful things I could do with this existing playhouse that I once wanted burned. I coaxed my husband into relocating this playhouse via tractor to a more desired location. Now, near completion, everyone that sees it absolutely loves it! I want to thank you for the inspiration and I know Riley will have so many great memories."



    Next, Penny W. is happy to share images of the adorable playhouse she and her husband built for their three grandchildren. (I sure hope the handyman and I are as energetic when we have grandchildren some day!):




    Penny's grandchildren:

    Finally, Dorcy C. shared photos of the playhouse she and her husband repurposed for their daughters.

    She writes:

    My oldest daughter, Kenzie, and I were on our way to the arboretum for some one-on-one time when we passed a house under renovation with this beat-up shed on the property. The shed had a large window that would be perfect for the two girls' cottage. We jumped out of the car to look at it and proceeded to ask one of the workers if the shed was going to stay with the house. He informed me that the homeowner had just given orders to demo the old shed. STOP!!! I called a million places to get it moved from the ivy-covered hill it was sitting on to our back yard. My husband said to forget about it - it would never happen...We showed him! We worked through the winter to paint it (not an easy paint job) and to replace the window and door (salvaged historic door and crystal doorknob). We are still in the process of "yucking it up"...adding odds and ends - but I couldn't wait to share it! And my mom and I made the fireplace!




    And Dorcy's lucky girls:
     
    Thanks to Tammy, Penny and Dorcy for sharing their new playhouses!!
Newer Post Older Post Home